Monday, August 18, 2014

Autumn Pumpkin Soup Recipe

pumpkin soup recipe
Garnish your pumpkin soup recipe with seeds and parsley
Plain and simple, I needed to jot this recipe down before I lost it in the muddle that is my head.

This growing season, I put in a crop of pie pumpkins at the end of my garden, maybe four plants from recollection, and now I have basket ball-sized pumpkins ripening with a pace to rival my yellow squash and zucchini. It's mid-August, so what to do?

Make soup. Lots of it.


The first recipe came off well, and I started with a basic root vegetable formula for the tryout. Chicken broth, fresh seasonings, roastings, and some heavy cream.

It worked well:)

So, without further ado, here's my first experiment with a pumpkin soup recipe. Enjoy!

Autumn pumpkin soup recipe

4 Cups Cubed Pumpkin (About half)
1 Diced Onion
2 Diced Garlic Cloves
5 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Cup Water
1/8 Cup diced Chives
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste

Start by cubing the pumpkin flesh and laying in a single layer on a broiling pan. Place oven on broil, and brown for about 10 minutes. It will start to 'wrinkle dry' up a bit, but not caramelize or brown. (I'd like to try this, however).

Add the pumpkin flesh, broth, water, diced onion, diced garlic, chives, salt and pepper to a pot and bring to a boil. At the boil, turn down to simmer and stir occasionally for 30 minutes.

With a blender, I use a Kitchen Aid for simplicity, puree the mixture. 2-3 cups per batch until completed. Return to the stove top, and bring to a soft boil again. Turn down to simmer for 20 minutes. At 18 minutes, fold in the heavy cream. Serve with a garnish of your choice.

Our meal tonight consisted of the pumpkin soup recipe as noted above, some fresh baked french bread, and battered and fried zucchini. It was very filling, though we could have stood to add some green and yellow beans from the garden into the mix.

Next time.